A woman who died from cardiac arrest at an Alabama hospital says her cardiologist failed to diagnose a surge of carbon monoxide, according to a local obituary. “He had supposed me to go to a different hospital, though I wanted to stay at Big River Medical Center,” Carolyn Soban says, according to the obituary from the funeral home handling her burial. “It was 22 degrees outside on Sunday. I was wearing layers of clothing, but the CO was hard to adjust to. I couldn’t breathe and my head was getting big, so I thought I just collapsed. I don’t remember anything after that, but I’m pretty sure I passed out for two hours, so I’m pretty sure I died.”
The obituary, published on Monday, reads:
Carolyn was with the Big River Medical staff when they announced they were canceling all non-emergency care because of the high CO readings. She had multiple symptoms that were the same as other patients. She was a CFO and had been working for several years. She was a single mother of two adults who did everything in their power to look after her. In her 50’s she was a cop in North Carolina and divorced. She was a loving and caring mother.
The obituary ends with condolences from children, family and friends. According to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office, Carolyn Soban died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. She had suffered cardiac arrest and went into cardiac arrest at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday, said Agent Sharon Sanders, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Office. However, she said no determination has been made on the manner of death or the cause of death.
Carolyn Soban had worked in the CFO position at Big River Medical Center in Gadsden, Ala., for more than a year.
Read the full obituary below:
Big River Medical Center in Gadsden, Alabama says Carbon Monoxide Suspected as Cause of Death for A Heart Attack Patient Carolyn Soban at Big River Medical Center on May 1, 2018. According to Big River Medical Center the family of the patient included a Big River nurse and two licensed practical nurses who continue to work at the hospital. According to Dianne Weidlich, the Funeral Director, Carolyn was working at the center for more than a year, which is a total of 8 and half years. Carolyn’s son says in the obituary that his mother Carolyn always put first her children and her partner, which is part of what made her so loved. What made this tragedy even more tragic was that her son learned in the family’s obituary she died Sunday because of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, but the family was told she had a heart attack. He believed it was because of the high CO levels that caused the heart attack, and he wasn’t told any more. BAMC says the levels did result in a high amount of carbon monoxide, but they cannot say specifically why the levels were high at the hospital. Coroner has not conclusively determined the manner of death or cause of death at this time. In response to this type of tragic circumstance, BAMC and their medical staff maintain in an attempt to prevent another accidental death, they must avoid the direct cause of death that led to this horrible tragedy. Four Alabama hospitals recently experienced a Carbon Monoxide (CO) incident in which low levels of carbon monoxide was detected. A third health care institution had a CO issue on a Florida beach where one of their patients became very ill and was taken to the local hospital. For anyone in the hospital at the time, you should receive direct CO mitigation gear and regular checking of supplies. In the case of this incident, Carolyn was a patient at the hospital who had been brought in very ill from the lake area. The son of the patient placed a call to her and she said her heart was bothering her and she was going to the hospital. Shortly after this phone call, the mother of the patient had a heart attack. They became unconscious and took a while to return to consciousness and talk. She was put on life support and the following Saturday she passed away. Carolyn was well known and well loved by the staff, patients and surrounding community and will be missed and remembered. Please send your thoughts and prayers.
Read the full obituary here.
Carolyn Soban name in obituary
Big River Medical Center said in a statement that “Carolyn was an in-hospital resource for her co-workers and hospital community and she will be greatly missed.”
Read the full statement below: