Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Court ruling: On foot with anti-Trump protesters

The Washington, DC Police Department (DPD) released the original videos shot inside the 2018 Capitol Hill assault in videos shot by law enforcement officials at the scene, while the DPD was prosecuting the bystander who recorded video of the violence.

This shift in strategy from DPD left the Crown Prince and his supporters particularly incensed. The Crown Prince’s lawyer sent out a press release that read, “I’m also concerned that despite the situation being of national significance and occurring in a highly sensitive part of the capital of the United States, we were only allowed to review video after the state lawyers had previously decided that access was too sensitive. And when they did, the state lawyers refused to give us access to any recording that DPD was already talking about in our report.”

DPD did not have to worry about the security of these videos. On 9 September 2020, a federal court ruling came down against DPD. The U.S. District Court ruled that the DPD should have been able to release those videos.

Judge Tanya Chutkan initially said that the videos might harm the Crown Prince and his supporters, but in her decision on 9 September 2020, she said, “The District of Columbia Police Department’s subsequent process to secure and secure approval to release the CRS videos was transparent and transparently approved by the Office of the Attorney General. The District’s Office of the Attorney General issued a public legal opinion approving the release and identifying all possible steps in the approval process.” She also said the district’s District Attorney should be held accountable for not being aggressive enough when trying to keep the videos under seal.

DPD and the District of Columbia Attorney General’s Office said they would appeal the court ruling.

The Crown Prince’s outside counsel, Perry Visconti, said they’re prepared to sue the District of Columbia and DPD over this issue.

Latest article